Voted by staff and customers as one of the best places to work in the UK and a Top 100 employer; our client is a global Tier 1 consultancy involved in leading cutting-edge fintech projects throughout the UK. We are looking for a Data Engineer to join their successful, stable, and growing team within an investment bank.
The Company considers employees as highly valued members of the business and offer an extensive benefits package plus fantastic progression opportunities for those wishing to move further in their career on a local, national, or global scale.
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills and experience:
• Experience as a Data Engineer working with very large datasets using Big Data technologies such as Spark, Impala and Hive
• Senior software engineering skills in Java & Scala
• Good understanding of Hadoop functioning & infrastructure
• Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources
• Experience with workflow/orchestration tools (e.g. Oozie, Control-m, UWQ)
• Excellent technical leadership, teamwork and communication skills, and working with local and remote teams
• Strong knowledge of SQL and advanced data analysis
• Desire to write robust, maintainable & re-usable code
• Practical experience of TDD and constant refactoring in continuous integration environment
• Practical experience of delivering good quality code within enterprise scale development (CI/CD)
• Experience leading an agile team, practicing Scrum, Kanban or XPNon-Technical
Desirable experience includes:
• Experience in other programming languages, specifically Python would be helpful
• Experience with Machine Learning Big Data technologies
• Working understanding of Cloud deployment & migration
• BDD, particularly experience of how it can be used to define requirements in a collaborative manner, ensuring that the team builds the right deliverable and creating a system of living documentation
The Financial Services business unit of our client is looking to add two new people with the job role of Data Engineer to a large programme of work with one of their key Investment Banking clients.
Job role and responsibilities:
The Data Engineer responsibilities include:
• Contributing to quality assurance by writing unit and functional tests
• Ensuring development happens for all Software Components in accordance with Detailed Software Requirements specification, the functional design, and the technical design document
• Designing and writing code in accordance with provided business requirements
• Analysing and performance tuning Spark queries e.g. looking at the DAG
• You will be developing source code, including descriptions in line with detailed requirements, then verifying the developed source code by reviews in addition to measuring and analysing code for quality
• Integrating software components including unit and integrated software testing according to the test plan
• Ensuring that all code changes, end up in configuration and deployment tools
• Providing Release Deployments on non-Production Management controlled environments
• Providing Level 3 support for technical components and contributing to problem and root cause analysis
• Collaborating with Functional Analysts and technical Specialists to complete work
The company is highly regarded within the industry and is one of the largest and most successful independent technology & business services firms in the world.
Alongside a competitive salary, you will have access to an annual bonus plan and share scheme making you a member not just an employee. You will also have the option to benefit from private medical and dental insurance, flexible retirement options, childcare vouchers and a cycle to work scheme.
Interested? Click APPLY NOW - We'd love to hear from you!