Position: Purchasing Assistant
Location: Hemel Hempstead (Office Based)
Hours: Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm.
1 year FTC (Maternity Cover)
WSR is recruiting for a Purchasing Assistant to join our client’s team in Hemel Hempstead.
This role offers an exciting opportunity to contribute to the company's procurement activities and support the supply chain process. As a Purchasing Assistant, you will work closely with the Purchasing Manager and other team members to ensure efficient purchasing operations and maintain effective supplier relationships. This position requires strong communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
What’s in it for you?
Competitive benefits, such as a pension, parental leave, and a generous vacation policy
A dynamic, friendly, collaborative culture where learning and feedback are valued.
Fast career development and progression opportunities
Joining a bunch of family-orientated ambitious individuals that make one great team!
Strong social culture with lots of team and company activities
A healthy work-life balance and autonomous approach to work.
Purchasing Assistant Responsibilities:
- Analyse and interrogate MRP requisitions on a daily basis, taking necessary actions to satisfy demand, such as placing purchase orders to suit business needs across all procurement categories.
- Optimise levels of stock-holding and inventory investment to minimise inventory losses due to deterioration, obsolescence, and other causes.
- Manage supplier day-to-day liaison and report areas of concern or excellence.
- Build and maintain partnerships with the supply chain overseas and in the UK, maintaining effective and regular communication.
- Maintain a close working relationship with senior managers, ensuring that all aspects of supply, inventory, and policy are discussed and agreed upon.
- Work closely to support internal customers and design engineers in sourcing new and existing products to satisfy end customer expectations.
- Attend meetings internally and externally to represent the department and company.
- Undertake special tasks and projects as directed by the Purchasing Manager.
- Coordinate inbound shipments from both Asia and Europe.
- Compile and analyse RFQ as directed by the Purchasing Manager.
Purchasing Assistant Experience and Knowledge:
- Relevant experience - preferably within a purchasing and project management or manufacturing environment.
- Ability to utilise effective negotiation and persuasion skills is essential.
- Knowledge of warehouse processes and inventory management is desirable.
- Familiarity with production parts and supplier manufacturing processes is desirable.
Purchasing Assistant Technical Skills:
- Good numeracy and analytical skills.
- IT literate with a good working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Knowledge and experience of working and developing MRP systems.
- Experience with procuring from the Far East is advantageous.
Purchasing Assistant Personal Skills:
- Excellent verbal, written, presentation, and communication skills.
- Ability to work within a small team and with staff at all levels and with partner organisations, suppliers, and clients.
- Be receptive to fast-moving, challenging, and rapidly changing and expanding operations.
- Able to work under pressure in a calm and mature manner.
- Ability to multi-task and constantly reevaluate timescales and priorities.
- Self-motivated with the ability to show initiative and develop creative solutions.
Purchasing Assistant Personal Attributes:
- Confident and personable.
- Well presented.
- Committed to high professional standards.
- Ability to be flexible with working hours to respond to the needs of the business.
Purchasing Assistant Qualifications:
- CIPS training or membership (desirable).
- Relevant vocational-technical/industry qualification (desirable).
If you are interested in finding out more about this role, please apply now, or call us on 01908 616 184 for an informal chat. We would love to hear from you!
We appreciate the time and effort invested in your application. While we strive to respond to all applicants promptly, we kindly ask for your understanding in case of delays. If you do not hear from us within 10 days of submitting your application, please assume that, unfortunately, you have not been successful this time.
We will however keep your CV on file and review your suitability against any other vacancies we may have available.